Whenever your gas furnace is working, carbon monoxide is being created. However, there is no cause for worry. It is a natural result of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is operating properly, it is harmlessly deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is kept inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely forced through the flue vent to the outside. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a consequence of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Inhaling too much carbon monoxide stops the body from using oxygen and can harm the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can hurt anyone exposed to the gas, it is more risky for people with existing lung or heart issues, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and maintain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s almost impossible to notice carbon monoxide is building up in your home. You may not be aware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Put carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by professionals, you should have it inspected. The experts at House of Heating Incorporated can make sure your blower motor is installed correctly and that there are no flaws in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can accrue if there are problems in those territories.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Routine maintenance is the best action to take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly tune-up, our technicians will clean your system and examine it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a great idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally monitored as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A blockage of airflow caused by a dirty filter can cause carbon monoxide to leak out of your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to frequently check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s instruction.
5. Always count on professionals to repair your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be very dangerous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few meaures. You’ll always have the pros at House of Heating Incorporated in Marshfield just around the corner to help, too. Give us a call at 715-384-3163 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.