According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
4. When you peek inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or pet hair?
5. Have pests or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to ask House of Heating Incorporated in Marshfield about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the professionals at House of Heating Incorporated. Annual evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Checking your system often and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts open.
Other ways you can help maintain your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from spaces such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and change them when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or wet condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Marshfield home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at House of Heating Incorporated at 715-384-3163 or arrange an appointment online.