Spring is in the air here in Marshfield and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The House of Heating Incorporated team has some recommendations that will assist in keeping your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home look as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to coincide with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your awesome vacation on social media, but try to wait until after you make it home to post anything about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as excited about the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to cut back on energy while you’re out of town is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give House of Heating Incorporated in Marshfield a call at 715-384-3163.